Poem: All That’s Left

 

All That’s Left

One small mistake and we fell apart.
One little lie and you said goodbye.
It wasn’t my fault that I gave you all my love.
It wasn’t foolishness when I looked into your eyes and told you I loved you.
You were the only person who really brought the word joy into my life.
All that’s left now is a little memory of us like the shadows that we left on those walls.
I think about those nights when we walked home as you sang to me.
Now the nights come but I’m walking home alone.
All that’s left are lyrics to our love songs.
The melodies have died like the end of the world.
There’s nothing left here but the memory of that warm day when you came into my life.
I can always sing the love songs to myself, but they’ll never sound the same like when you sang them to me. 


 Copyrighted @ 2022. Taken from Into the Night: A Collection of Poems, by N.N. Nicky

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: A Love Letter

Poem: Alone Again with Love

A Look Back - Favorite Author: Lois Duncan