Poem: A Fool For You

  In celebration of Poetry Month:

 A Fool for You

I was a fool in love when you walked into my life.
You told me how much you loved me and how beautiful I looked.
You told me how you couldn’t sleep when you closed your eyes because you kept on seeing my wonderful smile and lovely lips in your dreams.
I was a fool when you told me how much my love meant to you.
I was a fool to give you everything and to trust you.
But how could I have not loved your words?
The words that praised me and made me cry.
When you told them to me, they went through my heart.
I loved you with everything in my life.
I was a doll, a puppet, and you were playing your lies on me.
The tears of laughter turned to the tears of pain when you told me you never loved me.
You never meant a single word you said.
Everything you said, they were all so wonderful and so hard not to love.
Those lies, they were the killers of love.
A fool for you, and a fool to have loved you so dearly. 
Even though you don’t love me, I still love you.
I’ve forgotten about all the pain and tears that you’d given me.
The words that you gave me, they lifted me up, and I was happy. 


Copyrighted @ 2022. Taken from Into the Night: A Collection of Poems, by N.N. Nicky

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem: A Love Letter

A Look Back - Favorite Author: Lois Duncan

Poem: Baby, Try